WRITERS AND CRITICS (OLIVER & BOYD)
Publisher: Oliver & Boyd, Edinburgh [Tweedale Court, Edinburgh] and London.
Series editor: A. Norman Jeffares.
Advisory editors: David Daiches and C. P. Snow.
Format: Paperback. 7 3/4" x 4 7/7". 128 pages. 5s. each.
"The Oliver and Boyd ' Writers and Critics' series is the most interesting paperback venture of the past few years. As 'originals' a a price of 3s 6d or 5s, these booklets of just over a hundred pages compare very favorably with the slimmer (and therefore less effective) University of Minnesota and British Council pamphlets. The choice of writer is a electic as that of critic. So far, over half of the subjects have been American: Pound, James, Stevens, Faulkner, Hemingway, Arthur Miller, Whitman, Melville, and Steinbeck. It is a refreshingly individual choice. (...)
The editors have also, for the most part, avoided commissioning specialists or well-known 'authorities' -- a policy which has had generally good results. A. R. Humphreys on Melville... for example... He has no psychological or symbolical axe to grind and had read everything carefully and with great sensitivity and common sense."
-- Geoffrey Moore, "All Americans", in The Guardian, 15 June 1962, p. 7.
Some of the titles were republished in the U.S. by Capricorn Books (e.g. E. Scott Fitzgerald by C. W. Cross. 1971).
(A) Serial Number/Title/Author
1. Ezra Pound - G. S. Fraser.
2. Henry James - D. W. Jefferson.
3. Robert Graves - J. M. Cohen.
4. Wallace Stevens - Frank Kermode.
5. Ionesco - Richard N. Coe.
6. Faulkner - Michael Millgate.
7. Hemingway - Stewart Sanderson.
8. Brecht - Ronald Gray.
9. Colette - Margaret Davies.
10. D. H. Lawrence - Anthony Beal.
11. Arthur Miller - Dennis Welland.
12. Whitman - Geoffrey Dutton.
13. E. M. Forster - K. W. Gransden.
14. Melville - A. R. Humphreys.
15. Sartre - Maurice Cranston.
16. Steinbeck - F. W. Watt.
17. Edwin Muir - P. H. Butter.
18. Ibsens - G. Wilson Knight.
19. James Joyce - S. L. Goldberg.
20. Mark Twain - Douglas Grant.
21. Gide - G. W. Ireland.
22. Hardy - George D. Wing.
23. Dylan Thomas - T. H. Jones.
24. O'Neill - Clifford Leach.
25. Virginia Woolf - A. D. Moody.
26. T. S. Eliot - Northrop Fye.
27. Graham Greene - David Pryce-Jones.
28. Frtost - Elizabeth Jennings.
29. Ruskin - Quentin Bell.
30. Laforgue - Michael College.
31. Yeats - Peter Ure.
32. Rilke - Eudo C. Mason.
Source of above list:
Display ad in opening pages of:
English: Literature, Criticism, Teaching. Volume XIV, Autumn 1963, Number 85. Published for the English Association by the Oxford University Press.
(B) Titles arranged in alphabetical order
E. M. Forster
D. H. Lawrence
Hugh MacDiarmond (C. M. Grieve)
Edgar Allan Poe
Shakespeare I (1564-1592)
Shakespeare II (1587-1598)
Shakespeare III (1599-1604)
Shakespeare IV (1601-1605)
C. P. Snow
H. G. Wells
P. G. Wodehouse
Share this page:
Author: David Paul Wagner
(David Paul Wagner on Google+)