Whitcombe's Story Books
Publisher: Whitcombe & Tombs Ltd. Country: New Zealand. Date: 1904-c. 1960s.
Pickwick Papers (abridged from the Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club)
by Charles Dickens
Christchurch, Auckland, etc., Whitcombe & Tombs, no date (Whitcombe's Story Books, No. 603)
Paperback. 162 pages. Several black & white illustrations. Size: 12mo. (18.2 x 12 cm; 7 1/4 x 4 3/4 inches.
WHITCOMBE'S STORY BOOKS (WHITCOMBE & TOMBS LIMITED)
The Whitcombe's Story Books series was "a series which began in1904 and included about 450 titles at its height in the late 1930s and early 1940s, by which time it was the biggest series of children's books in the world".
(Source: Douglas Ross Harvey, K. I. D. Maslen and Penny Griffiths, eds., Book & Print in New Zealand: A Guide to Print Culture in Aotearoa, Wellington: Victoria University Press, 1997, p. 214.
Whitcombe's story books: a trans-Tasman survey by Ian F. McLaren with George J. Griffiths (University of Melbourne Library, 1984).
Also: First Supplement of same work (University of Melbourne Library, 1984).
More information about the publishers Whitecombe & Tombs Limited:
Lost Christchurch website - history, photos on Whitcombe & Tombs Ltd.
Serial Number / Title / Author, Illustrator, etc.
001. The Story of Hey Diddle Diddle
035. The Runaway Toys (For the Sixes). (Song O' Sixpence series). Illustrated by Gwyneth M. Richardson.
037. Lazy Dick (For the Sixes). (Song O' Sixpence series). Illustrated by Gwyneth M. Richardson.
038. Policeman Peg (For the Sixes). (Song O' Sixpence series). Illustrated by Gwyneth M. Richardson.
111. The Story of New Zealand: The Growth of the Colony (1853-1906)
210. Adventures in Australia by W. H. G. Kingston
211. The Cloud Children's Holiday
218. The Adventures of Hoppity Bobtail by Rodney Bennett. Illustrated by Ernest Aris.
219. The Teapot House by Nancy Iverach
251. Epaminondas and Other Stories for Little Ones by Sara Cone Bryant
333. Rip Van Winkle
349. Further Doings of Milly-Molly-Mandy by Joyce Lankester Brisley
352. The Gay Goblins by Nancy Iverach
357. The Dawn Shops and Other Stories by Joyce Lankester Brisley
359. Brer Rabbit Again
360. Koo the Kookaburra by Ida J. L. Cole
407. Ralph in the Bush by Charles Barrett
410. Little Shepherd: The Life Story of a Little Dog Founded on Fact by Aileen L. Burrow
414. What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge
426. Fairy Tales from the South Seas by James Cowan
450. Suremma: Tales of a Little Black Girl
454. Doctor Doolittle's Dog by Hugh Lofting
518. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
568. The Adventures of Wirra Wirra by V. E. Krebs
573. Wonderful New Guinea by Arthur Wyborn
603. Pickwick Papers (abridged from the Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club) by Charles Dickens
615. Don Quixote by Cervantes
620. John Halifax, Gentleman (adapted) by Mrs Craik
640. Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
661. The Valley of the Sky by Tarlton Rayment
663. The adventures of Tom Sawyer (adapted) by Mark Twain
Still looking for serial numbers
--- Carnaby's Boy: A Tale of the Founding of Melbourne by Hilda Bridges
--- Cecil Rhodes 1853-1902
--- Like English Gentlemen by J. E. Hodder Williams
--- Nicolas Nickleby by Charles Dickens
--- The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
--- The Mutiny on the Bounty
--- The Three Sisters by Mark Lemon
The above list was taken primarily from the publisher's list appearing a copy of a book in the Whitcombe's Story Book series.
Share this page:
Author: David Paul Wagner
(David Paul Wagner on Google+)