INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC SERIES (D. APPLETON & CO.)
Series Note: This series was organised for Appleton by Edward L. Youmans. The series editor was F. Legge [Francis Legge].
Volume Number / Title / Author
1. The Forms of Water in Clouds and Rivers, Ice and Glaciers. By J. Tyndall, LL.D., F.R.S. With #5 Illustrations. $1.50.
2. Physics and Politics: or, thoughts on the Application of the Principles of "Natural Selection" and "Inheritance" to Political Society. By Walter Bagehot. $1.50.
3. Foods. By Edward Smith, M.D., LL.B., F.R.S. With numerous Illustrations. $1.75.
4. Mind and Body: The Theories and their Relation. By Alexander Bain, LL.D. With 4 Illustrations. $1.50.
5. The Study of Sociology. By Herbert Spencer. $1.50.
6. The New Chemistry. By Professor J. P. Cooke, Harvard University. With 31 Illustrations. $2.00.
7. The Conservation of Energy. By Balfour Stewart, M.A., LL.D., F.R.S. With 14 Illustrations. $1.50.
8. Animal Locomotion: or, Walking, Swimming, and Flying. By J. B. Pettigrew, M.D, F.R.S., etc. Wih 130 Illustrations. $1.50.
9. Responsibility in Mental Disease. By Henry Maudsley, M.D. $1.50.
10. The Science of Law. By Professor Sheldon Amos. $1.75.
11. Animal Mechanism: A Treatise on Terrestrial and Aerial Locomotion. By Professor E. J. Marey, College of France. With 117 Illustrations. $1.75.
12. The History of the Conflict between Religion and Science. By J. W. Draper, M.D., LL.D. $1.75.
13. The Doctrine of Descent and Darwinism. By Professor Oscar Schmidt, Strasburg University. With 26 Illustrations. $1.50.
14. The Chemistry of Light and Photography in their Application to Art, Science, and Industry. By Dr. Hermann Vogel, Royal Industrial Academy of Berlin. With 100 Illustrations. $2.00.
15. Fungi: Their Nature and Uses. By M. C. Cooke, M.A., LL.D. Eidted by the Rev. M. J. Berkeley, M.A., F.L.S. With 100 Illustrations. $2.00.
16. The Life and Growth of Language. By Professor William Dwight Whitney, Yale College. $1.50.
17. Money and the Mechanism of Exchange. By W. Stanley Jevons, M.A., F.R.S. $1.75.
18. The Nature of Light, with a General Account of Physical Optics. By Dr. Eugene Lommel. With 198 Illustrations and a Table of Spectra and Colors. $2.00.
19. Animal Parasites and Messmates. By Professor P. J. Van Beneden, University of Louvain. With !83 Illustrations. $1.50.
20. Fermentation. By Professor P. Schutzengerger. With 28 Illustrations. $1.50.
21. The Five Senses of Man. By Professor Julius Bernstein, University of Halle. With 91 Illustrations. $1.75.
22. The Theory of Sound in is Relation to Music. By Professor Pietro Blaserna, Royal Academy of Rome. With numerous Illustrations. $1.50.
23. Studies in Spectrum Analysis. By J. Norman Lockyer, F.R.S. With 7 Photographic Illustrations of Spectra, and 52 other Illustrations. $2.50.
24. A History of the Growth of the Steam-Engine. By Professor R. H. Thurston, Cornell University. With 163 Illustrations. $2.50.
25. Education as a Science. By Alexander Bain, LL.D. $1.75.
26. Students' Text-Book of Colorl or, Modern Chromatics. With Applications to Art and Industry. By Professor Ogden N. Rood, Columbia College. With 130 Illustrations. $2.00.
27. The Human Species. By Professor A de Quatrefages, Museum of Natural History, Paris. $2.00.
28. The Crayfish: An Introduction to the Study of Zoology. By T. H. Huxley, F.R.S. With 82 Illustrations. $1.75.
29. The Atomic Theory. By Professor A. Wurtz. Translated by E. Cleminshaw, F.C.S. With Illustrative Chart. $1.50.
30. Animal Life as Affected by the Natural Conditions of Existence. By Professor Karl Semper, University of Wurzburg. With 106 Illustrations and Maps. $2.00.
31. Sight: An Exposition of the Principles of Monocular and Binocular Vision. By Professor Joseph Le Conte, LL.D., University of California. With 132 Illustrations. $1.50.
32. General Physiology of Muscles and Nerves. By Professor I. Rosenthal, University of Erlangen. With 75 Illustrations. $1.50.
33. Illusions: A Psychological Study. By James Sully. $1.50.
34. The Sun. By Professor C. A. Young, College of New Jersey. With 83 Illustrations. $2.00.
35. Volcanoes: What They Are and What They Teach. By Professor John W. Judd, F.R.S., Royal School of Mines. With 96 Illustrations. $2.00.
36. Suicide: An Essay in Comparative Moral Statistics. By Professor Henry Morselli, M.D., Royal University, Turin. With 4 Statistical Maps. $1.75.
37. The Formation of the Vegetable Mould, Through the Action of Worms. With Observations on their Habits. By Charles Darwin, LL.D., F.R.S. With 15 Illustrations. $1.50.
38. The Concepts and Theories of Modern Physics. By J. R. Stallo. $1.75.
39. The Brain and its Functions. By J. Luys, Hospice Salpetriere, Paris. With 6 Illustrations. $1.50.
40. Myth and Science. By Tito Vignoli. $1.50.
41. Diseases of Memory: An Essay on Defective Psychology. By Th. Ribot, author of "Heredity". $1.50.
42. Ants, Bees, and Wasps. A Record of Observations of the Habits of the Social Hymenoptera. By Sir John Lubbock, Bart., F.R.S., etc. $2.00.
43. The Science of Politics. By Professor Sheldon Amos. $1.75.
44. Animal Intelligence. By George J. Romanes, M.D., F.R.S. $1.75.
45. Man Before Metals. By Professor M. Joly, Science Faculty of Toulouse. With 148 Illustrations. $1.75.
46. The Organs of Speech and their Application in the Formation of Articulate Sounds. By Professor G. H. von Meyer, University of Zurich. With 47 Illustrations. $1.75.
47. Fallacies: A View of Logic from the Practical Side. By Alfred Sidgwick, B.A., Oxon. $1.75.
48. Origin of Cultivated Plants. By Alphonse de Candolle. $2.00.
49. Jelly-Fish, Star-Fish, and Sea-Urchins. A Research on Primitive Nervous Systems. By George J. Romanes, M.D., F.R.S. With 68 Illustrations.
50. The Common Sense of the Exact Sciences. By William Kingdon Clifford. With 100 Figures. $1.50.
51. Physical Expression: Its Modes and Principles. By Francis Warner, M.D., Assistant Physician, London Hospital. With 51 Illustrations. $1.75.
52. Anthropoid Apes. By Professor Robert Hartmann, University of Berlin. With 63 Illustrations. $1.75.
53. The Mammalia in their Relation to Primeval Times. By Professor Oscar Schmidt, University of Strasburg. With 51 Illustrations. $1.50.
54. Comparative Literature. By Professor H. M. Posnett, M.A., University College, Auckland. $1.75.
55. Earthquakes and Other Earth Movements. By Professor John Milne, Imperial College of Engineering, Tokio [Tokyo]. With 38 Figures. $1.75.
56. Microbes, Ferments, and Moulds. By E. L. Trouessart. With 107 Illustrations. $1.50.
57. The Geographical and Geological Distribution of Animals. By Professor Angelo Heilprin, Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia. $2.00.
58. Weather: A Popular Exposition of the Nature of Weather Changes from Day to Day. With 96 Diagrams. By Hon. Ralph Abercromby. $1.75.
59. Animal Magnetism. By Alfred Binet and Charles Fere, Assistant Physician, Hospice Salpetriere, Paris. With 15 Figures. $1.50.
60. International Law, with Materials for a Code of International Law. By Professor Leone Levi, King's College, London. $1.50.
61. The Geological History of Plants. With 79 Illustrations. By Sir J. William Dawson, LL.D., F.R.S. $1.75.
62. Anthropology: An Introduction to the Study of Man and Civilization. By Edward B. Tylor, D.C.L., F.R.S. With 78 Illustrations. $2.00.
63. The Origin of Floral Structures, through Insect and Other Agencies. By the Rev. George Henslow, M.A., etc. With 88 Illustrations. $1.75.
64. The Senses, Instincts, and Intelligence of Animals, with Special Reference to Insects. By Sir John Lubbock, Bart., F.R.S., etc. With 118 Illustrations. $1.75.
65. The Primitive Family in its Origin and Development. By Dr. C. N. Starcke, University of Copenhagen. $1.75.
66. Physiology of Bodily Exercise. By F. Lagrange, M.D. $1.75.
67. The Colors of Animals: Their Meaning and Use. By Edward Bagnall Poulton, F.R.S. With 86 Illustrations and 1 Colored Plate. $1.75.
68. Socialism: New and Old. By Professor William Graham, M.A., Queen's College, Belfast. $1.75.
69. Man and the Glacial Period. By Professor G. Frederick Wright, D.D., Oberlin Theological Seminary. With 108 Illustrations and 3 Maps. $1.75.
70. Handbook of Greek and Latin Palaeography. By Edward Maunde Thompson, D.C.L., etc. $2.00.
71. A History of Crustacea: Recent Malacostraca. By the Rev. Thomas R. R. Stebbing, M.A. With 51 Illustrations. $2.00.
72. Race and Language. By Professor Andre Lefevre, Anthropological School, Paris. $1.50.
73. Movement. By E. J. Marey. Translated by Eric Pritchard, M.A., M.B., B.Ch. (Oxon.). With 200 Illustrations. $1.75.
74. Ice-Work, Present and Past. By T. G. Bonnet, LL.D., etc. With Maps and Illustrations. $1.50.
Share this page:
Author: David Paul Wagner
(David Paul Wagner on Google+)