SENTRY EDITIONS (HOUGHTON MIFFLIN COMPANY)
Series Note: "Our Sentry Editions are books of lifetime interest, intended not for casual reading but for life on the shelf as well as in the hand. They are printed on paper of good quality in a binding that has the durability of cloth but the price and compactness of paper."
-- Houghton and Mifflin book catalogues, 1967 edition and 1970 edition.
"These books are designed for the reader who is interested in books of permanent value which reflect development[s] in American thought. The sentry is a guardian of our literary heritage. The format is good and the cover is attractive in vinyl cloth."
-- Wisconsin Library Bulletin, Volume 58, No. 3, July-August 1962, p. 243.
Arranged alphabetically by title
1. A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers - Thoreau.
2. A Diary from Dixie - Williams and Chesnut.
3. The Education of Henry Adams - Adams.
4. J. B. - MacLeish.
5. John C. Calhoun - Coit.
6. The Maritime History of Massachusetts - Morison.
7. My Antonia - Cather.
8. Patterns of Culture - Benedict.
9. Sam Clemens of Hannibal - Wecter.
10. The Great Crash, 1929 - Galbraith.
11. The Year of Decision - DeVoto.
12. The Young Man with a Horn - Baker.
13. Mein Kampf - Hitler.
14. The Vital Center - Schlesinger.
15. The Course of Empire - DeVoto.
16. O Pioneers! - Cather.
17. The Armada - Mattingly.
18. American Capitalism - Galbraith.
19. The Emancipation of Massachusetts - Adams.
20. Beyond the Hundredth Meridian - Stegner.
21. Paul Revere and the World He Lived in - Forbes.
22. Chosen Country - Dos Passos.
23. The Tragic Era - Bowers.
24. Parkinson's Law - Parkinson.
25. Across the Wide Missouri - DeVoto.
26. Manhattan Transfer - Dos Passos.
27. A Cartoon History of Architecture - Lancaster.
28. The Song of the Lark - Cather.
29. A Mirror for Witches - Forbes.
30. The Collected Poems of Archibald MacLeish.
31. The Journals of Lewis and Clark - DeVoto.
32. Builders of the Bay Colony - Morison.
33. Mont Saint Michel and Chartres - Adams.
34. Laughing Boy - La Farge.
35. Wild America - Peterson and Fischer.
36. Paths to the Present - Schlesinger, Sr.
37. U.S.A. - Dos Passos.
38. Economic Development - Galbraith.
39. Crisis of the Old Order - Schlesinger.
40. Three Soldiers - Dos Passos.
41. The Road to Xanadu - Lowes.
42. More in Sorrow - Gibbs.
43. The Coming of the New Deal - Schlesinger.
44. The Big Sky - Guthrie.
45. The Dartmouth Bible - Chamberlin and Feldman.
46. The Far Side of Paradise - Mizener.
47. The Politics of Upheaval - Schlesinger.
48. Jefferson and Hamilton - Bowers.
49. The Price of Union - Agar.
50. Mark Twain's America and Mark Twain at Work - DeVoto.
51. Jefferson in Power - Bowers.
52. The Best American Short Stories, 1915-1965- Foley.
53. Names on the Land - Stewart.
54. Two Kinds of Time - Peck.
55. The Young Jefferson - Bowers.
56. The Promised Land - Antin.
57. Personal History - Sheean.
58. The New Industrial State - Galbraith.
59. The Battle of Gettysburg - Haskell.
60. On Becoming a Person - Rogers.
61. A History of Mexico - Parkes.
62. Flaubert and Madame Bovary - Steegmuller.
63. Paths of American Thought - Schlesinger and White.
64. The South Since the War - Andrews.
65. The Elizabethan World - Smith.
66. Literature and the Sixth Sense - Rahv.
Share this page:
Author: David Paul Wagner
(David Paul Wagner on Google+)