THE PARLOUR LIBRARY (SIMMS AND McINTYRE)
The first successful series of fiction reprints in paper boards was the Parlour Library, founded in 1847 by the Belfast firm of Simms and McIntyre, and continued by Thomas Hodgson and a succession of London publishers into the 1860s. Advertised as books 'for all', these shilling volumes, with distinctive green covers designed by H. Warren, stimulated an unprecedented demand for cheap, attractively packaged new and popular novels.
-- BBC series on Yellowbacks (19th century cheap paperback fiction)
This book series was published by Simms & McIntyre [also written as: Simms & M'Intyre], of Belfast and later also of London. From 1853 onward, the series was successively published by Thomas Hodgson, of London; by Darton & Co., by C. H. Clarke; by Darton & Hodge; and by Weldon & Co.
Serial Number / Title / Author / Publication Year
1. Black Prophet - William Carleton. 1847.
2. Memoirs of a Physician - Alexandre Dumas. 1847.
3. Wood Leighton - Mary Howitt. 1847.
4. Consuelo I - George Sand. 1847.
5. Consuelo II - George Sand. !847.
6. Collegians - Gerald Griffin. 1847.
7. Highways and Byways - Thomas Colley Grattan. 1847.
8. Old Convents of Paris and The Haunted Marsh - Mme Charles Reybaud and George Sand. 1847.
9. Marian - Mrs Hall [Anna Maria Hall]. 1847.
10. Memoirs of a Physician II - Alexandre Dumas. 1847.
11. Emigrants of Ahadarra - William Carleton. 1848.
12. Rosa and Gertrude. My Uncle's Library - Rodolphe Töpffer. 1848.
13. Schinderhannes - Leitch Ritchie. 1848.
14. Emilia Wyndham - Anne Marsh-Caldwell. 1848.
15. Tales of the Munster Festivals - Gerald Griffin. 1848.
16. Memoirs of a Physician III - Alexandre Dumas. 1848.
17. Highways and Byways: Series II - Thomas Colley Grattan. 1848.
18. Olivia - Anon. [Lady Lyons]. 1848.
19. Parsonage I - Rodolphe Töpffer. 1848.
20. Parsonage II - Rodolphe Töpffer. 1848.
21. Fardogrougha the Miser - William Carleton. 1848.
22. Confessions of an Elderly Lady and of an Elderly Gentleman - Countess Blessington [Marguerite Blessington]. 1848.
23. Family Pictures - August la Fontaine [August Lafontaine]. 1849.
24. Tithe Proctor - William Carleton. 1849.
25. Emma - Jane Austen. 1849.
26. Previsions of Lady Evelyn - Anne Marsh-Caldwell. 1949.
27. Tales and Sketches - Rodolphe Töpffer. 1849.
28. Father Connell - John Banim. 1849.
29. Sidonia the Sorceress I - From the German of W. Meinhold. 1849.
30. Sidonia the Sorceress II - From the German of W. Meinhold. 1849.
31. Tales of the First French Revolution - Collected by the author of Emilia Wydham [Anne Marsh-Caldwell]. 1849.
32. Andrew the Savoyard - Paul de Kock. 1849.
33. Adventures of M. Violet - Frederick Marryat. 1849.
34. The Gipsy: A Tale - G. P. R. James [George Payne Rainsford James]. 1849.
35. One in a Thousand; or. The Days of Henri Quatre - G. P. R. James [George Payne Rainsford James]. 1850.
36. Tales of the Woods and Fields - Anne Marsh-Caldwell. 1850.
37. The Robber: A Tale - G. P. R. James [George Payne Rainsford James]. 1850.
38. Mary of Burgundy - G. P. R. James [George Payne Rainsford James]. 1850.
39. Country Stories - Mary Russell Mitford. 1850.
40. Morley Ernstein - G. P. R. James [George Payne Rainsford James]. 1850.
41. The Sketch-book of Geoffrey Crayon, Esq. - Washington Irving. 1850.
42. Tales of a Traveller - Washington Irving. 1850.
43. Two Old Men's Tales - Anne Marsh-Caldwell. 1850.
44. Castelnau - G. P. R. James [George Payne Rainsford James]. 1850.
45. Pictures from the French Revolution - Alphonse de Lamartine. 1850.
46. Darnley - G. P. R. James [George Payne Rainsford James]. 1850.
47. Northanger Abbey and Persuasion - Jane Austen. 1850.
48. The Khan's Tale - J. B. Fraser [James Baillie Fraser]. 1850.
49. Smuggler - G. P. R. James [George Payne Rainsford James]. 1850.
50. Zenobia, or the Fall of Palmyra - Author of Julia [Rev. W. Ware]. 1850.
Share this page:
Author: David Paul Wagner
(David Paul Wagner on Google+)